Thursday 17 December 2009

Cheeseburger or Singkong?




I remember of my beloved lecturer words. At that time, we discussed 'Things Fall Apart' by Achebe.

Then, she said to us, "If there are two kinds of food on the table, cheeseburger or singkong, what will you choose?"

We laughed. I said to myself, "Of course I choose cheeseburger. Delicious!". And a pic of cheeseburger came to my mind. I became hungry.

She said again, "I think you all will choose cheeseburger. But don't you think it's a kind of imperialism?"

I nodded. All nodded. But i still chose cheeseburger. And I think, so did all.

I think about it still now. Were we stupid? We knew that we all the victim of imperialism, but we wanted to be it.

I can't lie to myself with say, "Hey, I hate western products, so I'll choose singkong and till the end of my life I won't eat cheeseburger."

I think i'll suffer because of my oath for not eating cheeseburger. That food is a junk with high cholesterol and fat. Beside that, it can shorten my life. However, it's delicious.

Then, my lecturer said again, "It's just our need to eat what we like. So how can this become trouble?"

I nodded again. All nodded. But, yeah, that was trouble. Imperialism is trouble.

Life's hard, isn't it? Sometimes we still guess 'is it true or wrong?'. Do human use their mind too over? So that makes collision between two value of life, right and duty, law and need.

So, what will you choose? Cheeseburger or singkong?

No comments:

Post a Comment